Monday 7 March 2011

Are wiki's a valuable resource?

We have been creating our collaborative wiki. The wiki is based on the idea of "healthy living" and aimed at early years.
The wiki ties in work we have produced through the elective including our animation and movie. It also covers all areas of the Health and Wellbeing outcomes in curriculum for Excellence for example;

Healthy mind section- I know that friendship, caring, sharing, fairness, equality and love are important in building
positive relationships. As I develop and value relationships, I care and show respect for myself and others.
(HWB 0-05a / HWB 1-05a / HWB 2-05a / HWB 3-05a / HWB 4-05)
Healthy eating section- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health.
(HWB 0-15a / HWB 1-15a / HWB 2-15a / HWB 3-15a / HWB 4-15a)
Healthy Body- I am enjoying daily opportunities to participate in different knids of energetic play, both outdoors and indoors. (HWB 0-25)

Lyndsay and I decided to use a character called bertie to take the children through the wiki. Bertie is a
voki that explains all of the activities and ideas explained on the page. We felt he was the best way to make the wiki accessible to early years considering many have not yet fully developed their literacy skills. We have used him plus other characters and buttons to help make the wiki more child friendly and age/stage appropriate.
However, for some of the activities, we felt that the teachers/parents would need more instructions so we created the "teacher's notes" section at
the bottom of each page. This way it is as suitable for both children and adults. I think a wiki like this is a great way to share the topic with the parents, show them what thrill child has been doing and making the link between learning in the classroom and learning at home better.by having a wiki for the class topic that they can access at home, you can add homework, extension activities and develop their learning further.
Initially I thought the idea of a class wiki would be valuable for involving parents, giving homework and strengthening the link between home and school. However, after focusing on a topic based wiki, I feel that this is just as valuable to use because it can be a tool to help the class share ideas, information and their work. As Richardson (2009) explains "a coconstruction of this type could make for a much more personalized text, one specific to your particular class."
I personally I would be happy to create a wiki for the class topic and can see the benefits.
After evaluating the wikis I feel that ours works well to meet the needs of children in nursery, It mainly has voki's or crazy talk to help explain activities for the children and is full of activities for the children to try out. I would be quite happy to use this wiki in the future with my nursery class to explain healthy living. If I had one thing to change I think I would want more activities and information on the wiki, just so it explains everything the children would want to know about the topic.


Richardson, W (2009) Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other powerful Web Tools for Classrooms California: Corwin Press (page 61)

1 comment:

  1. I do like the way you have constructed you wiki with children and parents in mind: providing audio for children and written guides for parents. What a super idea.

    ReplyDelete